spreading the funk since 1978

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Eclectic


find the kid with glasses
Originally uploaded by coquita.

Went to the Gift of Gab/ Lateef the Truth Speaker show at the DNA Lounge last night. I've seen Gift of Gab several times now and always enjoy his gigs. Mike Relm opened and came correct. His opening line was "if you want to get your ass blown, stay in the room." I don't know about my ass but Relm blew my mind. His mixed media performance included a video show to compliment his well-crafted track selection. To say the very least, Mike Relm knows his audience. Every movie clip, song sample and message he spun hit the middle of the crowd's pop culture radar screen. I still can't get his mix of the Stones' "Satisfaction" out of my head. He made me think for a minute that Mick Jagger and Keith Richards had written the tune with a hip-hop beat. His finish with John Lennon's "Imagine" was beautiful. Only one word can sum up Mike Relm for me: RADICAL.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home